Bikeability for Schools
Bike4Health is a registered Bikeability Provider.
Bikeability is the nationally recognised cycling award scheme that runs in three levels. Each level is a progressive award which builds on the learning from previous levels.
At Bike4Health, we don’t want children to miss out on the benefits of cycling. We can perform Dr. Bike MOTs on children’s bikes prior to bikeability to make sure children will be able to participate, or if bicycle ownership is low in your school’s catchment we can supply bikes from our fleet so no one misses out.
The Bikeability Levels:
Bikeability Level 1
Level 1: Delivered in groups of between 3 and 12 in a car free tarmac environment. At level 1 riders will cover:
- Preparing for a journey
- Checking a cycle is safe and ready to ride
- Setting off, pedalling, slowing and stopping
Bikeability Level 2
Level 2: is delivered in smaller groups of up to 6 participants per instructor. The course is focused on enabling safe, short journeys like heading to school or to the shops. In Level 2 participants will cover:
- Cycling safely and responsibly
- Identifying hazards
- Starting, stopping and maintaining good riding positions
- Sharing the road with other road users
- Complying safely with road signals and signs
- Manage risk when cycling
Bikeability Level 3
Bikeability level 3 is delivered in groups of up to 3. Trainees cover how to deal with much more dynamic road situations including busier streets and queuing traffic, complex junctions and roundabouts.
- Planning journeys
- Riding assertiviely
- Maintaining proper position on complex roads
- Cooperate with road users and understanding vehicle blind spots
- Passing traffic and using junctions
- Using infrastructure and multi lane roads
- Riding on roads with >30mph speed limits
Bikeability is a carefully structured award scheme but we recognise each school and organisation is different. We work closely with all our partners to make sure that they can have the most rewarding bikeability experience possible.
To request information, arrange a friendly chat or a ‘sit down’ meeting, please fill in your details below.
Get in Touch
Telephone the Workshop:
Email the Workshop: email@example.com